Kumi has been retained by one of the world’s largest commodity traders to develop and implement a responsible sourcing programme for the company’s minerals supply chains. Starting initially with a focus on copper and cobalt in the DRC and Zambia, but now expanding to other metals, this work has involved:
- Developing a company policy for responsible mineral sourcing.
- Developing and implementing tools and processes for screening and risk-based prioritisation of suppliers.
- Developing a site assessment approach, incorporating both responsible sourcing and broader health, safety, environment, labour and community relations aspects.
- Undertaking on-the-ground assessments of prioritised suppliers.
- Working with external stakeholders to develop mitigation measures for identified supply chain risks.
Our work is due diligence work evaluates the company's suppliers against key international standards. These include the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Mineral Supply Chains, the company's own Business Principles for Health, Safety, Environment and Community performance, and the IFC Performance Standards.